Tuesday 12 March 2013

Restoring Joy

He had me pegged across the pool deck. I was minding my own business. My holiday was only 4 days. I needed rest. Our bading suits on, lotion applied books to our eyes. Do not disturb until I'm done relaxing..or so I thought. His hair was grey, teeth applied smile infectious. His body no longer fit and trim. My brothers were in World War 2. I was in college , got myself two degrees. I found my book slipping to the pool deck. a big sigh escaped my lips. Where are you from? Figures he was from Calgary. Whats with us Canadians who are always so darned friendly , anyways? I mean 80 degree temperatures, palm trees and nothing to do could make anybody happy. Still...didn't matter if I escaped for a swim or picked up my book  that infectious smile followed me. Full of friendly chit , chat he was. And I just having to layed to rest another precious grey haired soul found myself drawn to listen. Les was his name. He had travelled the world, spoke three languages. He was happily married and well taken care of by his wife. She was playing bridge. And it dawned on me I was made for such a time as this. My plans focused on myself, His plans to bring joy to someone in need. And since I had been seeking to restore joy to my life I was being nudged to comply.
"Joy is the realist reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped. God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given:joy .Something always comes to fill the empty places. And when I give thanks for the smallest of things, I make a place for God to grow within me."
Ann Voskamp

No comments:

Post a Comment