Monday 17 June 2013

My Journey / The Ride




I had not anticipated the whirlwind of this journey that started month's ago. Last year father's day my good friend Bert Wiens participated in his 2nd year of the ride to conquer cancer. For him a big part of his journey was losing a friend and coworker to cancer. We went last year to support him, cheer him on and left the event signed up for next years ride. Well Rudy signed up and I agreed. Then Rudy recruited his two sons, brother and a sons friend ,Bert of course was also riding again. It is hard to put pen to paper or keyboard to screen to describe what this has meant to me. The beat of my heart that had been ticking at a fairly even low keel beat was being pushed to pump harder. It was not a cardio thump, thump you can do it. But more like a zap of electricity used to wake up somebody slipping from life. Those long ago compassionate, tender feelings of grace and mercy that I once was in the thick of had died in the survival mode of life. And as I stood at the cheering stations and cheered the riders on I was overwhelmed by each rider and touched by each survivor and saddened by each person missing because they didn't make it. And I was overwhelmed. And it was good. And I was reminded again, that my heart needs to bleed for others. That's what our journey on earth is all about, we are here to help others. Whether it's volunteering time, giving money, teaching, loving, anything really. Do something for someone. Have a cause in life. It doesn't have to be find a cure for Cancer. Find something and do something about it expecting no returns. You will be overwhelmed , you will have your sock's knocked off, you can make a difference in this world. 

As Rudy and I debriefed last night and we spoke of this event and the tragedy of a young life that was lost in the ride our hearts were broken. Our prayers are with the family, friends , driver and organisation who has to deal with this loss of this very young life. 
What Cancer Cannot Do
Cancer cannot cripple Love,
it actually makes it overflow.
Cancer cannot shatter Hope,
it actually clarifies what hope is for.
Cancer cannot corrode Faith,
it actually strengthens faith's convictions.
Cancer cannot conquer the Spirit
because courage faces cancer's affliction.

No comments:

Post a Comment